Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mud and Mosquitoes Attack!

It's my last full day sightseeing in Oahu. We head to Maunawili Falls in Kailua. Maunawili means "twisted mountain" in Hawaiian. They really should change the name to mean "muddy" because it was a muddy mess. We also had to climb over rocks in streams and up lots of stairs. There were also lots of mosquitoes. My friend was bitten 17 times! It's a good thing I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants to protect my skin from the mosquitoes.

Despite the mud and mosquitoes, it was a great hike and well worth the waterfall at the end. I even took a dive into the pool!



After Maunawili Falls, we drove over to Nu'uanu Pali Lookout. It's a section of the windward cliff of the Ko'olau mountain, which is located at the head of Nu'uanu Valley. It has a panoramic view of the windward (northeast) coast of Oahu. It is well-known for strong trade winds that blow through the pass, forming a sort of natural wind tunnel. It was so windy I almost got blown away!


Well that's it for my Hawaiian adventure. I hope you enjoyed it. I'm going to miss Hawaii so much, but I have another adventure coming up next week...Australia! Stay tuned!