I then head up the middle of Oahu towards the North Shore. The North Shore is the north-facing coastal area of Oahu. It's best known for its massive waves, and it attracts surfers from all over the world. During this time of the year, the waves are small, but if you visit in December, you can see waves that are 50 feet high!
I make one stop on my way to the North Shore - the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Not only did I find pineapples here, I also met a nice Hawaiian hula girl.
Growing pineapples used to be big business for Hawaii, but not so much anymore. It's believed that the pineapple originated in Paraguay and was introduced to Hawaii in 1527 after a Spanish shipwreck near the coast of the Big Island in Hawaii brought a number of the pineapples to the islands. Several years later, a Spanish adventurer, Francisco de Paula Marin, experimented with raising pineapples in Hawaii. James Dole later pioneered the pineapple industry and became Hawaii's "Pineapple King." While there are still pineapples grown on and around the grounds of the Dole Plantation, it's mainly there as a tourist attraction. You can take a train ride through the pineapple gardens and eat pineapple ice cream! Yum!
I make my way around the North Shore and spend some time shopping and sightseeing at Haleiwa, the historic surf town. I also stop at Ted's on Sunset Beach for some plate lunch and chocolate haupia pie. So good. After eating all that, it was time for a nap. I headed back south to Waikiki and on the way, I stopped in the town of Kailua and took a nap in Lanikai beach. This beach was so beautiful and secluded. I'm going to buy a home there one day.
That was my North Shore adventure. Tomorrow, I'm going to hang out in Waikiki and see Jack Johnson in concert at the Kokua Festival! I can't wait!
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.